Thursday, April 2, 2009

You Capture: Signs of Spring

Photobucket
I just came across this weekly photo challenge and may start participating. I have been participating in That Wife's photo challenge as well, which I enjoy, as she posts photos from everyone. So we'll see if I can manage a photo challenge a week!

This challenge is about Signs of Spring, which is what That Wife's was as well! All of these photos came from my attempts at finding a good photo for her challenge. Keep in mind, in Alaska, "Spring" does not come until mid April at least, and we honestly do not start planting outside until June 1. It warms up in March, but we still have awful weather!

Here's the photo I used for TW's challenge. A bit of grass poking out from under the snow. Near the snow, it looks more green, but I think it might be deceiving!

I went to the beach on March 9, and two of four guys were wearing shorts! Granted, it was not windy and was in the high 30s, but brrr!


It might be a bit hard to see, but one of the warmer days halfway through the month produced some mud...and then it froze. These are our shoe prints frozen!

On a similar note, when it gets to this stage, the snow melts pretty quickly. Slushy snow makes fun footprints!

And lastly, our rain gutter was melting the snow around it!

Now you can see that we still have a ways to go until "Spring." It's always fun to see people in town looking hopeful - smaller jackets, less hats, and playing on the beach. Hopefully less than a month till Summer!

10 comments:

  1. I am so glad you joined in, it is fascinating to see an Alaskan early spring, and my goodness - the mountains in the background of the shorts shot - breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the challenge. So fun to see what spring looks like in different parts of the country.

    Great shots

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's like a different world, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a different perspective from someone who still has to wait a bit for spring. Those guys in shorts are crazy, but what a beautiful background!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you poor thing. My sister is from Kodiak, AK and was just here for spring break (in California). It was 80 degrees and perfect beach weather... then she flew home to 4 feet of snow on the ground.

    Well, don't worry-- spring is coming and you'll have lots of extra daylight hours for picture taking!

    great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brrrr! It's always fun to see Alaska. My brother lived there for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brrrrr. That's one cold spring! But it's spring, just the same! Hope you thaw out soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's to melting snow! Love the frozen footprints pic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your spring is most definitely different than our spring, but man ... those are some amazing shots. The mountains in the background? I want to see more of those!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man seeing those guys in shorts reminds me of how we had an alaskan grad student running around on campus who pretty much wore shorts and flip flops the entire winter.

    Oh I also decided to host my little story here if you're still curious:

    http://intbride.blogspot.com/2008/04/flower-garden.html

    ReplyDelete