Friday, January 30, 2009

Redoubt's Acting Up

I'm stuck inside today. My car wouldn't go, which is fine with me. This is the 3rd day in a row we've had snow, and it is coming down like crazy right now. There is probably a good 6 inches outside. I haven't driven my car since Monday, so it's buried. It's cold and windy out there, so I'll just stay inside.

Redoubt, the volcano, is expected to erupt soon. Apparently AVO's website has such high traffic right now that they have an extremely basic, boring white page for the homepage. Slightly amusing. But I don't remember there being such a big deal about when Augustine erupted or not. That was 3 years ago, already! I hope that when/if it does erupt, it isn't snowing anymore. Then we could actually get pictures of it!

I've been thinking for a while about getting stuff ready for an emergency like this. Buying jugs of water and storing them, buying lots of non perishable food. We just haven't done it. I called C at work to tell him to go to the store and buy food. His work sells dust masks and they're already all gone. What would we do if we had no power? I couldn't do my homework. And if we couldn't leave the house, then what? Ugh, I don't want to think about it.

Living in Alaska has a lot of natural disaster risks. We have earthquakes, and volcanoes to worry about. And bad fires. Not to mention bad weather, though it could be a lot worse. BUT, on the flip side, we don't have hurricanes, or tornadoes, and hardly any thunderstorms. To be honest, I prefer to live here with the disasters we have. AND we don't have snakes! :P

So, if out there, you all hear that the volcano erupted, and don't hear from me for a while, I would imagine that C and I are cooped up here, going crazy. And I'll plan on posting again when I have a chance.

Update: I just read an editorial that came out in the paper 3 years ago. Those out of town probably won't see the humor in it, but it is a classic example of what transpires in this town. Read and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment