Monday, March 30, 2009

Things I've Learned in Marriage



I wrote this post in June of 2008 after I had been married for 2 months. I figured I'd bring some of it back for this week, and add some more! Our one year wedding anniversary is on the 4th of April, so I figured this was appropriate!!

Things I have discovered about living on my own and married life:
  • Doing the dishes can actually be an enjoyable past time..or at least tolerable.
  • Cooking is much more fun when doing it with your husband.
  • We buy a lot of ice cream. We went a week without some a few weeks back and that was horrible =P
  • You actually have to make and enforce a routine, otherwise it won't happen.
  • It's great having a husband who isn't afraid to kill spiders.
  • Grocery shopping is considered "cute" when you are newlyweds.
  • Getting asked about the married life several times a day gets old.
  • Living on your own is actually not nearly as hard as I was imagining it to be. I miss my parents and my cats, but I am pretty happy being moved out.
  • Not living with cats is a pretty sad existence (if you love cats), which is amplified when going to the in-law's place and playing with their cats.
  • Being married and taking care of yourself actually means you have less free time and time together (sometimes) than you did before...figure that one out.
  • Having 2 days off in a row together is such a blessing! (much more so than just one)
I would add now, 10 months later:
  • Those stereotypes I always heard about marriage? Yeah, it is easy for them to come true. That's where the work comes in!
  • Getting asked about when we are having children gets old after about the second time. Especially when it is people that don't need to know.
  • Living by ourselves is such a blessing. After babysitting for my in laws twice now, I definitely understand why you move out when you get married and don't have kids right away! Coming home to our own quiet place was so relaxing after those times!
  • Trying to do homework and actually focusing on it is hard on a marriage. There is not a lot of freedom to stop thinking about what needs to get done to spend time together that is rich.
For more of what others have learned, visit Musings of a Housewife!