Friday, March 5, 2010

Your Camera Rocks! No.. it's Me..

Note: I'm not trying to come across as critical or arrogant in this post! Please don't misunderstand me!

Ever since I have gotten serious about my photography, I have really discovered my pet peeve is one that others share. Many people, especially those who are ignorant about photography, will look at my photos and inevitably ask the question. The question of "What kind of camera do you use?!!"


I used to love the image on the left. I had photoshopped it right out of the camera to get this result. However, compared to the right, it is obviously lacking. The image on the right is much more vibrant and the shadows and highlights are more subdued. The upped contrast makes it pop more. Now, the image on the right is much better. The camera couldn't make that decision!

I have read many, many posts on this very subject. Now I don't want to sound conceited, but it's me. My skills using the camera. My skills of composition. My photoshop skills. The camera and the lens are just a tool that I use to achieve the end result. I know several people who have gotten the same camera or similar as I have and they have hardly done anything with it. The camera and the lens of a DSLR can produce awesome images different from a point and shoot, but if you don't understand how to manipulate the camera to do what you want, it's pointless.

Another reason I have improved so greatly is from constantly shooting. I try to shoot several times a week. And I spend time with it. It took a lot of practice to get where I am today. And I still have tons to learn! I am constantly learning, and there is a marked improvement in my work, even from a month ago or last week.

That's why I get frustrated when asked the inevitable question. It's an offensive question to the skilled photographer. I realize it is not the intent of the question to come across the way it does, but that's how it is. I'm happy to talk gear, but I also want my customers and viewers to realize that it's more than pointing and shooting!

Anyone else run into this issue before?

3 comments:

  1. I can say it is very similar to an experience I had as a musician. After a performance, someone came up and asked what kind of flute I used because it sounded so wonderful and she wanted her daughter to sound like that. Funny thing was...I could never afford to upgrade from an intermediate level instrument that I purchased in the 10th grade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! YES! I have come across this before! SO annoying, even it if it is out of ignorance! I could totally make this post mine- it's all so true. I've had friends and family members pick up my camera, take a few shots with it, and be like, "Oh, I love your camera! I want one like this!" I think a huge part of the appeal is that, unlike a digicam, when you press the shutter button on a DSLR (all SLRs really) you actually hear and feel the shutter opening and closing. At least, I think that's what it is. Maybe it's the mirror flipping out of the way... lol. Anyways, it somehow feels more "authentic". And people like it. I also know people who have gone out and bought themselves a DSLR only to use it for snapshots and in 'auto' mode. Not that there's anything wrong with 'auto' mode, but hey, if you're gonna buy an expensive camera, learn to use it. Maximize it's potential. But I'm getting kinda off subject here, so I'll stop. *grin* Oh, and to anyone who thinks they need a fancy DSLR to take good pictures- no, you do not. I've seen some really compositionally lame pictures come out of DSLRs, taken by people who have absolutely no eye for photography (but obviously think they do) and some really stellar stuff coming out of little digicams, taken by people who really do have an eye for composition and so on. It's entirely possible to develop your photographic ability using a P&S simply because composition is such a HUGE part of a good image.
    There's my rant for the day, lol.
    Oh, and the paragraph about shooting several times a week convicted me to the core! Ok, maybe not quite that serious- but almost!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca, that's quite amusing! But it's so true. It really has little to do with equipment!

    And Regina, I definitely agree with you on the "staying on auto" thing. I did for a little bit, but then I made the most of it to learn!

    ReplyDelete