Thursday, March 4, 2010

100mm f2.8 Macro Lens

After long agonizing over a macro lens, I bid on a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM one on ebay in February. Unfortunately, it took me a day or so to realize that I was bidding on the obsolete one, the one that was released for sale over 10 years ago! It took a bit of detective work to find any information about it online. The main difference between the one I won and the current one is the USM focusing. I wasn't too concerned, and I knew that I wouldn't be able to get one for as cheap as I did. Unfortunately, I think I got jipped a bit, as when the lens arrived, it had several scratches and overall signs of heavy use. I suppose it was to be expected over a 10 year old lens.

I've been experimenting the past few days outside with these drops. It's hard to get them frozen when there isn't much light. I've got a couple of ideas to help shine more light to make them work.

All the reviews I ran across made it sound like image quality was superb. And it is. I do wish I had gotten the USM version though. The focusing is obnoxiously loud and not quick at all. However, it is fantastic to be able to focus on something just a few inches in front of you!

Isn't he cute? I bought this Easter fluffy peep and 5 of its siblings in a box this Sunday for $1.50 at Safeway!

The lens is metal. All of the other lenses I have so far have all been plastic, so this was a change. It's definitely heavier, which is helping me to guage how much more beefy the L lenses are compared to the less expensive ones I have now.

Oh and the other issue I have? Filter size is supposed to be 52mm. I bought a UV one before it arrived to have it ready. The UV filter fits on it, but it is a hair too wide! The lens cap fits over it, but doesn't have a good grip, so it falls off frequently.

For years I've wanted to document my rock collection! Now I can!

It's not a perfect lens, but I am happy that I have a macro lens now. The image quality is great. The bokeh is just as good as my 50mm 1.8, which pleased me greatly! In some ways it is better. It is supposed to also be great for portraits, but I haven't tried it yet.

Don't be fooled. This is a plant inside my house. I still have several months before I see green outside :(

I've been having a fun time getting used to shooting in macro. I've really discovered how crucial it is to have a tripod for the tiny shots. Manual focusing is nearly impossible handheld!

So, all in all, I think it was a decent purchase. I've been having fun with it, so I think that's what really matters!

4 comments:

  1. That's a bummer that you didn't get quite the lens you were hoping for! But, I have to say- it looks to be nice and sharp and I know you'll utilize it to it's highest potential.
    BTW, I'm loving the shots you've been getting of the pine branches! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting, I didn't know the EF lenses would fit without an adapter. I do like the photos though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read about your Macro, a 2.8 I got jealous. My 105 mm is 3.5. Which is a bummer for using your Macro insight at night. I guess there are always ups and downs to lenses. But I love my Marco, works great. And yes, I love taking portraits with it!

    I do love your raindrops in the first photo, nothing looked wrong with it to me, of course it would have been better where they in focus but I thought it was neat already. A tip: with Macro you really have to choose your focus point. Even with a small object, you need to make a choice. You can take a photo of a marble and still need to make a choice of what you want in focus, the swirl inside the marble, the front or the bottom line. It's that close a call. Have fun practicing.

    Tell me more about your rock collection.... please. And take photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey shall we challenge each other? Do an assignment together with our Macro. We could make a list of 5 Macro photos to take and post them together.

    Just some ideas:
    1. portrait
    2. animal
    3. something green (plant/tree)
    4. water drop coming out the tap

    Let me know what you think......

    ReplyDelete