Saturday, July 18, 2009

Odd Requests

Monday was an odd day for me. I have specifically stated that I don't want to photograph weddings. But I had a friend text me on Monday saying, "Want to photograph a wedding in September? I'd do it, but I'll be back at school." I said no, unless the couple needed a last resort. The money was awfully tempting, I will admit. I referred them onto a friend. If I could be a second shooter, at an outside wedding, I think I would be happy.

I'm more into the candids now. Staged photos don't seem to be my forte. I've been loving taking photos of the kids at youth group. They are goofy all by themselves without knowing a camera is trained on them. It's fun to see what you can come up with in the spur of the moment without planning.

That all being said, I am not doing a wedding in September. The thought is intriguing, but I don't have the equipment (easily remedied of course) or the people skills for it. I'd prefer to focus on the mountains and sunsets out my door, thanks!

Later, Monday night, I had a mom-to-be approach me, enthused. "You're a photographer! Do you want to take photos of the birth?!"

I was taken aback, very much so. When her son was born, someone in the room took photos for her and she loved them. Now she wants them for her daughter. I, of course, had to quip that this would "scar me for life and be great birth control!"

She was making a list of people willing to do it for her if it fell into their schedules. I was honored that she would ask me, I suppose, that she would feel comfortable enough to have me there for the birth of her daughter. I told her to put me on her list. We'll see when she goes into labor!

Anyone else experienced something like this?

6 comments:

  1. Not from the photography side, personally, but I've got some thoughts that might help.

    My cousin asked my dad to photograph (who is not a photographer)his wedding in the days of actual film ... in b&w. My mother was sure that they would never speak to him again when they didn't have any good pictures of their big day ... film is scary. So, he had me take a point-and-shoot digi (I think it was 2.0 megapixels - early days) and take the same shots he did.

    End result? Some of the best wedding pictres I've seen of an outdoor wedding (his) and a fun learning experience for me.

    I think the key is the couple ... if they are ready to just see what happens ... you'd be completely fine and they'll love the shots you take.

    Having had 2 kids, I can tell you that the hospital thing is pretty cool. Here's the big thing ... if someone "uninvested" in the moment isn't taking pictures, there will be no good pictures - or, at the very least, none that most would share. You can almost think of yourself as storyteller because afterwards each person only remembers their moments - you'll have the complete story.

    And, they will be so focused on the birth that you can just do your thing and be in the background to capture every emotion known to man. Nothing is more candid than birth!

    My advice ... if she calls, go. :)

    Wow ... long comment! Sorry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long comments are great! Thanks for that encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last month a friend asked me to be the photographer at her wedding next year. I was honored of course but like you do not feel adequate to take such important photo's of a day that couples will only have once. But they do not have money so than it gets even more tempting to say yes. I am such a people's person and want to help out always. But I told her we should do an engagement shoot. If she likes those photo's I'll do it. If not, we'll find someone else. I do press her to get someone good!! But at some point it's up to her. I'll take on the challenge!

    I hope you get to do the birth, I would jump on that occasion right away.

    And NEVER stop shooting what's out your door though! You're good at that, and I am sure you'd do well with all of the above!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be more apt to shoot a birth, than a wedding (since I've given birth and know what to expect.:)) I would love to shoot a wedding as a back up shooter, but not the ONLY one. Too much riding on that one day and I'd be too stressed. Like you, I'm not a fan of posed photos either, although I do them. But... you have to start somewhere, right? Take your camera to the wedding (if you're invited) and shoot away. Ten to one, the bride will enjoy the candids much more than the posed photos and be willing to buy them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I don't think I could be an only photographer at a wedding, that would be scary. And for my wedding, we had very few posed photos. The rest were candid and amazing. Candids are the new thing anyways! Take a few posed, but enjoy the rest of the people. Who knows, they might just want candids anyways!

    Oh, and you should totally do the birth! That would be an incredible experience!

    ReplyDelete