Wednesday, July 15, 2009

2 Observations

I have discovered that I have a much more discerning eye for photography than I did just a couple months ago. I think it is from reading so many articles and blogs and just practicing. Yesterday, I was taking an hour roadtrip and as I looked out the window, I was taking in the views and imagining having a photo of specific scenes. None of them made me really want to jump out of the car and shoot though. Each scene was lacking a specific added element.

It was midday, so the sun was too high. A sunset would have been fantastic. Or a rainbow. Wildlife would have been great too. But, unfortunately, just lupine and spruce trees doesn't make a very interesting final image.

I am happy that I can be more discerning in what I shoot now. It feels like I am making huge strides!

It has been really interesting to me to be at work now when customers come in with their DSLR's around their necks. I work in a tourist shop in a tourist town, so photographers abound. I see all types of cameras - Canons, Nikons and some oddball brands. Huge lenses, L lenses, small ones, I see them all. Most of the time, it is older people with them. Every so often I see a younger person, but it hasn't been common yet. It makes me feel like I have a special connection with those people and could strike up a conversation with them. I haven't done so yet, but it might happen at some point.

Anyone else get interested and watchful when you see DSLR's in public?

6 comments:

  1. We always compare our equipment, even if we don't talk about it! I remember how 'insignificant' I felt the first time I went on a bear viewing trip and I had my less expensive zoom lens. Everyone around me had those long and huge lenses. So I saved up my pennies and bought myself one. Best investment I ever made. The following year, I fit right in. *grin* I also understood how significant the quality of images are if you have good glass. However, no amount of good equipment or expensive lenses can compensate for not having an 'eye' for photography. That's the most important thing of all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with this entire post! It seems like before I never paid attention to people's cameras, but now that seems like the first thing I see when I look at a person. Is that a bad thing?

    Oh, and about being discerning, I'm still not bad, but I' coming along. Sometimes I still want to capture every moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were just hiking in a place where everyone has a camera (It's like it's a cardinal sin to be in Sedona without a device to capture images.) Anyway, I found myself "thinking like a photographer" when I was there. I still took "snap shots" because they are fun, but I concentrated on capturing more than just the memory of being here.

    I agree with Susan and Yelena, I think we always compare even without asking anything ... but I like to strike up conversations with folks about the equipment they are using. It's a bit like try-before-you-buy on some level and it gives everyone a sense of community!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love looking at peoples cameras, especially DSLRs with the dream of getting my own someday. But the eye. Oh yes, the eye. Once you start, you can't stop. Thinking about what you would need to do to get that shot while driving along. How you would frame it. What you would do to it afterwards in Photoshop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kinda look over my shoulder not too obviously, to determine what they've got and what lens they are using. Some of those people carrying multiple cameras intimidate me! Since mine is nothing special I don't think anyone is really looking at mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS I passed on a blogger award to you at the end of my post today.

    ReplyDelete