Saturday, September 6, 2008

Icky School

My work schedule has changed drastically starting today. I have a week off, until next Friday. I think I will probably go crazy being home all day. This time is devoted to school...right. I have worked on a lot of assignments today and became frustrated with one so I quit. I made some spaghetti, and did laundry since then. It always amazes me that the tasks I really don't want to do suddenly make me eager when I have schoolwork to do.

I'm going to head out to the grocery store soon and then pick up Caleb from work. Then I'll more homework.

------

For all of those non-Alaskans out there, sometimes living here is not that great. Small town living (Homer) means no entertainment, no malls, no Walmart. Alaska's first 2 Targets are opening in a month. Rarely any concerts in the state. Companies think it costs tons more to ship here (it doesn't...we're still in the US). Not to mention that I hate the winters. As much as I adore Alaska and never plan to leave, it still makes me unhappy sometimes. So, that's what makes our dividends a welcome incentive to stick around. And this year, I'm getting a double dose by being married. For those who are not aware, every year, those who applied in the state get a dividend from a state fund. This year, it is the biggest ever, due to being larger anyway, but then Palin signed an energy bill to give everyone an extra $1200 for gas money, basically. And, they are sending it all out a month early so we can fill up our fuel tanks before it gets cold. They announced the amount yesterday - $3269 a person. I'm excited about it, although all we're doing with it is saving it (but it will get us some nice interest!). So, $6500 to live here. Not bad :P

Now that I'm done bragging...

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, that's crazy... I had some friends that came down here from Alaska and loved it up there, I never thought I'd like it myself though. I have been told that all the people who do live up there aren't always nice towards military families, because they can apply for that same support even though they won't live there long. (Or something like that, I was just confused by the whole thing.)

    ReplyDelete