Thursday, June 28, 2012

Chicago 2012: June 11

[caption id="attachment_2850" align="aligncenter" width="650" caption="Tern Lake"][/caption]

We woke up on Day 1 a bit earlier than I expected and immediately got started on getting ready to leave home. We tuned into the Zelda Dungeon Marathon as we waited and interacted with the other staff for a bit.

We got out of town by 9:45 am, 45 minutes behind my schedule and were on our way. We stopped very few times on the drive up to Anchorage, and made good time. We usually dilly dally our way up the highway, but I wanted to get there early to go shopping. We arrived after 2:15pm sometime and immediately went to a thrift store. I bought 2 pairs of pants and 2 shirts there, as well as 3 pairs of shoes, including some hot pink flats! :)

[caption id="attachment_2852" align="aligncenter" width="433" caption="Crazy boots at a thrift store"][/caption]

We completed most of the shopping, except for one last spot. That was when we got lost, and it quickly became a bit more stressful once rush hour began. Hooray for small town living :P We ended up where we wanted to go, and when we were finished, we tried to catch up with C's brother. Once again, we got lost trying to find him, but we finally did!

[caption id="attachment_2853" align="aligncenter" width="433" caption="Hot pink flats I got at a thrift store!"][/caption]

He took us to an excellent Chinese restaurant for dinner and we whiled away an hour or two. And then we headed to the airport.

Brother in law stayed at the airport with us for a while and we logged into the Marathon for the second time of the day. We got through security with one blip from security - C's pants had too many zippers ?!

I grabbed a sandwich from Quiznos to eat on the plane, and then we boarded the plane. As we made it to each step in our journey, I texted Mases and let him know where we were. Apparently, he read each text to the stream to announce how much closer we were :)

Soon after taking off, I managed to fall asleep...for an hour. C slept a tiny bit longer than I did, but we both did not sleep. Made for a long night flight, but we survived. Ate the Quiznos partway through, and gave up trying to sleep after a while.

By the time we arrived in Chicago, we were quite exhausted. C was sure we would crash soon, but I wasn't so sure.....

[caption id="attachment_2858" align="aligncenter" width="867" caption="10:53pm, before sunset"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2859" align="aligncenter" width="867" caption="11:43pm Sunset"][/caption]