Sunday, May 1, 2011

Osama

I'm sure nearly everyone reading this has already heard the news about the passing of Osama bin Laden.

After September 11th, every so often, the thought would cross my mind, "I really hope they capture him!" or, "I really hope he gets killed!" As time has passed and I have matured, I stopped thinking about it, but tonight, it has me thinking again.

First, is the elimination of Osama going to help anything? I highly doubt it. I expect retaliation in some form, or at least, no decrease in terrorist activities. Now Osama is a martyr.

9/11 did not really touch me on a true personal level, meaning I knew no one greatly affected nor did I lose someone.

My Facebook feed is full of comments about this situation, most of them inappropriate, in my mind. How dare we rejoice in the death of a person, no matter what horrible deeds the person committed. By rejoicing in his death, we are no better than Al Qaeda.

Even Osama bin Laden had a family that is in mourning now. Think of them.

And, as a Christ follower, I should be grieving that someone who was most likely not saved by grace, Osama bin Laden is going to hell. Rejoicing in that, even indirectly, is....sickening, and not very Christlike.

One twitter comment I read states this: "It makes me sad that the death of one man can cause so much national joy, while the death of many causes little ntnl grief." Exactly.

And, another person posted a scripture: "Remember, Beloved, God has no pleasure in the death of the wicked. Ezekiel 18:23".

Feel free to state your opinions, and whether or not his death was necessary or justified, and the world is now free of him, I will not be gleeful or celebrate the death of someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment