Thursday, September 10, 2009

No Portraits!

I find it amazing how when people see you with a DSLR or hear you are a photographer, they instantly think you can do it all and photograph people. Or, I don't think I made it clear enough in the beginning that I am NOT photographing PEOPLE.

I am the "official" photographer at our local youth group and I love to take candid shots. When the kids start posing for me, I start getting out of my element. My husband thinks these kids will start calling me for senior photos before long and then weddings after that. I hope not!

I had a friend I don't know too well approach me recently about taking family photos. However, she has 6 children! I tried to gracefully turn her down and referred her elsewhere. Turns out, she came to me first wanting to give me the experience. :) I appreciated that.

My father in law is an amazing photographer of landscapes. However, he has been asked several times to photograph people or weddings and always turned them down with, "I don't have the right equipment, nor the experience." And he left it at that.

He and my MIL have been teasing me about photography. Whenever they see a good photo somewhere, "Oh, it just doesn't compare to what Michelle does :P" So on Tuesday night, when my FIL called me and started the flattery up, I laughed it off.

He explained that he had a friend who urgently needed headshots taken. Within the next 24 hours. I told him that I would much rather not do it, but he could call a friend of mine who loves taking senior photos. "No, I want you to do it."

How does one get out of that? I told him I'd think about it. After much deliberation, I contacted the lady and took some photos of her and got some cash in return. It really wasn't a big deal, but just the fact that I don't feel comfortable taking portraits other than for fun is not what I want to do. I am afraid of being asked to do this again!

I think I am going to have to put a disclaimer on my site about this. How do you deal with this issue?

1 comment:

  1. I think I did share this with you before. I was asked to do a wedding. I, by no means, are a photographer. And I am like you, into nature. So portraits are still very tricky. Yet when this couple asked me, I felt honored of course. And we did make the deal. I said I would do it, BUT if these photo's are really important they should just get someone paid to do this and be guaranteed great shots. I can guaranty nothing and they know it. It's just that they are a young couple and have no money and of course I do it for free. It's a tough one, I don't want them to be disappointed in the end, yet if I do not do it, they will look out for some one else who would do it for free and thus have the same quality as what I can give them. I think it's admirable you are able to stick to your no so well. How do you do that?

    ReplyDelete