Monday, May 3, 2010

Oil and Water

The last of the wine glass shots. I wanted to layer different colors in the glass. I did some research, and found that honey, dish soap and cooking oil all have different densities than water. I didn't have much success with the dish soap =P But, I did color some water, and then poured vegetable oil in the glass. I tried to pour it slowly, but it still disturbed the water greatly. The result was these fantastic bubbles, though!

The dark blobs are green food coloring globs, that did not separate in the oil. I might have to try this again and not use the food coloring.

Date: 4/26/10
Aperture: f/2.8
Shutter: 1/125 & 1/100
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 100mm
Tripod? Yes

9 comments:

  1. I tried this too. Reminds me of an aquarium. You could join my little blues meme with this: Midweek Blues

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking, did you see the other glass with an ice cube dropping into it? That was pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice with the bubbles! And how nice of you to tell us how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very creative and interesting images. love the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool experimentation, Splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It makes for a wonderful picture!! Love the bubbles it formed in the middle of the layers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reminds me of a tropical water image. That would be so cool to just have as a decoration in the house in a sealed bottle or jar. Nice image!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is cool...think I will try it too! Love the yellow bubbles on top of the blues!

    ReplyDelete