Thursday, October 1, 2009

Be Aware of Surroundings

I often go and shoot photos by myself. C doesn't want to come with me, so I prefer to go when he is working. I went to a famous lookout spot on Monday. It's usually busy in the summer, but slow in the winter except for the residents driving by. Where the pavement ends, it's just trees and wilderness.

I was taking photos there when a white truck drove up. I ignored it and expected the person to get out. I went back to my car to change lenses and such and noticed it was a man in his late twenties probably. Back to the view I went and started snapping away. The guy gets out of his car and immediately starts talking to me, "Beautiful day, huh? Wow, that's a nice camera! Do you want me to take your picture?"
"No, I live here, so I don't really care. Do you live here or are you from elsewhere?"
"I grew up here."

I started feeling uncomfortable. He was a nice looking guy, some might have though he was attractive, but I couldn't decide if he was hitting on me or just being friendly. At the same time, I started thinking about the fact that I was up there all by myself with no one else in sight.

I think the guy got the hint that I was not social and abruptly turned, got in his truck and drove off.

I didn't stick around long after and went home feeling disturbed.

A word of advice to the girls. Be watchful where you are. Bring a buddy if possible. Stay where it is busy. Tell someone where you are going, as well. I was comforted by the fact that I had just been in contact with my husband before I left and told him where I was going.

I'm not sure how often I will go to places like that alone now. It just left a bad taste in my mouth. As much as I like solitude when I am shooting...I do enjoy the company of others as well. Hopefully this serves as a good reminder!

2 comments:

  1. Our intuition is one of the best things we've been blessed with! If it didn't feel right, it probably wasn't. Even if he meant no harm, the fact that you didn't feel comfortable means that you shouldn't be in the situation. Always pay attention to it!

    I go out by myself all the time... sorta. I almost always take my trusted furkid. Sedona is not friendly to strangers at all, and I do believe that she is some semblance of discouragement for someone looking for trouble. She's not fool-proof though, so I do rely on my intuition and I always pay attention to my surroundings.

    I'm glad you're OK and nothing bad came of it, but you are right in that if you are going to go to an unpopulated area, you should take a buddy. (Or get a big dog! *grin*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I hate that. I've also had a similar experience in the past (though not while I was out shooting). Trust your intuition, as Susan says! Just say you've got to go, and drive the heck out of there.

    ReplyDelete