Friday, November 27, 2009

Lasagna

Please tell me, is making lasagna that hard/a big deal?

I found a fascinating recipe in Real Simple for Broccoli and 3 Cheese Lasagna the other day. C wasn't interested in it, so I made it myself. The hardest part was cooking the noodles and that was more of a pain than anything.

I rarely had lasagna growing up. I can't remember my mom ever making it. But I've had some good stuff in the past and I've been craving it.

Yesterday, I was talking to my mother and sister in law.
Me: I made lasagna yesterday.
MIL: Oh? Was it frozen?
Me: No. I made it from scratch.
SIL: Did C help you? [C is known for cooking. I don't think they've gotten the memo that I've been cooking more lately]
Me: NO, I did it all by myself.

The conversation then went into how frozen lasagna is actually pretty good. MIL won't make lasagna any more, since she likes the frozen stuff better.

Cut to today. C called from work, and mentioned how he brought some with him for his lunch today. He pulled it out of the fridge in the lunchroom and heats it up and sets it down. His coworkers there at the time gave him a hard time too.
Coworker: Looks good, is that frozen?
C: No, my wife made it.
Coworker: No she didn't! It's got to be frozen.
C: No...my wife made it!

Needless to say, he never convinced them that is was not frozen lasagna.

Does anyone understand this? Is lasagna a lost art or something? I thought mine turned out decently. It's not amazing or anything, but it's tasty. Thoughts?


2 comments:

  1. I used to make lasagna all the time, boiling the noodles first, getting them to unstick *grin*, and layering everything up. Then I read that you can make lasagna with the uncooked noodles, which removed the one step I dreaded the most. So I tried it and it worked! As long as you have enough moisture in your lasagna (ie: sauce), the noodles will cook as it bakes. Sometimes you might have to add hot water if you don't have enough moisture. Do a google search for no cook noodle lasagna and a bunch of links will come up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan is right - no need to cook the noodles. I usually add a little extra water to my sauce just to make sure there's enough moisture. Also, in my grocery store they have special NO BAKE lasagna noodles - which don't even require the extra water step. I a couple recipes if you want one - a regular lasagna and a white cheese chicken lasagna.

    ReplyDelete