Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Butterfly

My mother loves butterflies, so I have a special place in my heart for them as well. Despite there being many species of butterflies in Alaska, I only regularly see two types. Last week, we had a particularly windy day and I followed this butterfly around my yard to see where it would land. A clump of mowed, dry grass was not my first choice, but I took it anyway. He patiently posed for me about a half hour total.

I moved around a lot to get better angles, and my shadow crossing it finally made him take flight. I followed him again until he landed a few feet away on a gravel rock in the driveway.

It's really fascinating to see the tiny head and even its tongue!

I loved seeing the colors of its wings change to this lovely iridescent blue/purple/pink ever so often. Truly beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment