Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Spit at Sunset

I have been trying to get this shot for about a month! And I still did not get what I wanted! I have taken photos of the Spit at sunset, but I have been wanting one where the sun cast its golden light on the mountains as well. I thought of it sometime in March, when the snow was flying and the skies were cloudy. Unfortunately, several factors were working against me by that point. The sun is setting farther west now, so I was not sure how long of a window of time I would have and how long the light would stay pretty over the Bay. The sun is also setting later (At the time of this shot, the sunset was at 9:45) which makes it much harder to get away when my husband is home.

I started planning the nights I could go for a look. I discovered I could eye a local webcam to gauge how the light was, and if the horizon was cloud-free. A few times in the past week or so, I was ready and able to go, but there was a disappointing cloud cover. I recommend that fellow photographers look to see if there are webcams available in key locations in your area!

I drove up the hill Saturday night for my test shot. Unfortunately, there was a rather unsavory person at the same lookout I was, so I did not stay long. The light got better after I left, so I may have to try again!

I would love to try again in the heart of summer, when the fireweed is blooming, but I don't know how feasible it will be!

Date:  4/24/10
Aperture: f/8
Shutter: 1/30 sec
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 55mm
Tripod? Handheld

No comments:

Post a Comment