Saturday, April 25, 2009

Missing Twilight Books Found


I am a very timid person at times. Ok, most times. As our marriage video series we watched recently described, I am a "peace" person. I don't like arguing, or causing a scene. Sometimes it works in my favor, but a lot of the time, it works against me. Today, however, it worked very well in my favor.

This might get a bit confusing, so bear with me. My boss's daughter got married, and her in laws now live in the same town as I and my boss. Said daughter does not live in the state. Every so often, I see those in laws (mainly at work) and kind of cringe. They are the type of people that think everything should go their way, and yet are pretty flaky about other people's needs. The In Laws' daughter is a local chiropractor that Boss and her son go to regularly. Still with me?

Back in January, right after I finished Twilight, I was sitting at work, off the clock, conversing with Boss and Coworker M, when the Mrs. In Law showed up. Twilight came up, (of all things...) and she wanted to know who had the books. I piped up, much to my chagrin, and told her she could borrow the first two. Mrs. In Law was going on vacation and wanted plane reading.

I was a bit uneasy, knowing what Boss had to say about them, but I did not think it would be that big of a deal. After all, she is an adult, surely she can be responsible with my books, right? The other piece of this was that I really did not want to lose those books. I paid full price for one of those 2, and more than I usually do for the first one. (Usually, I buy books used on Amazon)

So, time went on. I thought about the books every couple of weeks, wondering when I should say something. Along came March, when C randomly met Mrs. In Law at his work, and she made a comment about needing to get the books to me. I was relieved. Surely they would show up soon. And I honestly do not know this family, they are barely acquaintances.

Fast forward to today. Coworker G and I were hanging out when in walks Mrs. In Law. Long story I don't want to get into, she asks if Boss had left her book 3 of Twilight. And in my head, among many thoughts right then, "it's taken you almost 4 months to get to #3?!"

I'm not sure whether or not Mrs. In Law recognized me. I don't think she did. So I said, "So, you're finished with the first two, then?" "Oh yes, I'm finished and I passed them on to someone :)"

You did what! Who, as an adult that I don't even know, passed along my books to someone else, when she doesn't even know me or contact me? I was so flabbergasted that I didn't say anything as she walked out the door. (this is the timid part coming out) I knew I should have said something to at least find out what happened with my books, but I just was shocked.

When Boss showed up, I told her the story so that she could tell me what to do. I didn't know whether to have Boss contact Mrs. In Law about it, or to have Boss's daughter do it or what.

And lo and behold, Boss looks at me, and then says "You know...there are two Twilight books sitting on my table that Son brought home. Maybe he brought them from the Chiropractor...do you think they are yours?!"

Turns out, my Boss had my books for a little bit of time (I don't think very long) and didn't realize it. I am so glad that I did not cause a scene by freaking out and demanding my books. I still should have said something to her about her irresponsibility, but it has all worked out in the end. How is that for random?!

1 comment:

  1. Such a hard situation. How do you say something to her without coming off as incredibly rude, and yet, it's important that someone finally speak up so that she understands behavior like that is not acceptable.

    ReplyDelete